Keto-friendly foods are usually so filling that people end up consuming fewer meals throughout the day. This enables them to lose weight sustainably.
Nonetheless, it is one of the most controversial diets. And it does not mean that you’re no longer prone to hunger and afternoon energy crashes.
If you’re unprepared and processed, carb-dense snacks are tempting you, giving in could mean you’re stepping back from your health goals.
This is why it is best to have keto snacks on hand when hunger hits, and your willpower is low — or when you need an extra fat-filled energy boost.
To help you stay on track with your snacking, we put together comprehensive lists of healthy, keto options.
The Ready-to-Eat Healthy Keto Snack List
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of keto snack recipes ready for you to try. But sometimes life gets in the way. What are you supposed to do if you don’t have time to prep your meals and snacks?
Before you give in and grasp an unhealthy snack, try something from our list of ready-to-eat snacks.
To help you decide what foods can meet your nutritional needs, we split our list into four categories:
- Very High Fat, Low Protein Ready-to-Eat Snacks
- High Fat, Moderate Protein Ready-to-Eat Snacks
- Low-Calorie Ready-to-Eat Snacks
- Store-Bought Ready-to-Eat Keto Snacks Money Can Buy
Very Low-Calorie Ready-to-Eat Keto Snacks
This kind of snack will give you the comfort of eating without adding calories to your daily intake. Thus, this is an excellent option for those who want to maximize weight loss and minimize hunger:
These do have some net carbs, so be mindful of how many you are eating.
They make an ideal snack for those who want all the saltiness and crunch of chips without the calories. Make sure there aren’t any combined ingredients that contribute to unnecessary calories or carbs.
Booze it black to raise your energy and ketone levels without the extra calories. You can also add heavy cream or MCT oil powder if you need more fat in your diet.
For an extra energy boost, drink caffeinated or herbal tea to give you some flavor and fluids without the calories. If you want to add more fat, feel free to mix in some heavy cream or MCT oil powder.
Sugar-Free, Low-Calorie Jello or Popsicles
Only have these on special occasions because they’re highly processed and nearly useless from a health viewpoint. Put some sugar-free whipped cream on top if you want to add more fat.
Sip on some bone broth when you want something low-calorie and warming that is also packed with health benefits.
One of the several nutrient-dense, low-calorie snacks you can have on keto!
Many kale chip products have extra sugars. So if you are unable to find one that suits your net carb limit (taking into consideration your other meals), try making them yourself.
Want something satisfyingly sour? Sugar-free pickles will do the trick. These low-calorie snacks can also provide you with some of the minerals you need to help curb cravings.
Ready-to-Eat Snacks and Good Source of Fat and Protein
These snacks give you a great way to fit more fat and protein into your keto diet:
The most available cheeses like string cheese, cheddar cheese, and cheese wheels, make great keto snacks. Moreso, when you want some quality fat and protein.
Just make sure they have no added carbs or fillers and are high in fat.
Keto diet researcher, Dr. Dom D’Agostino, considers canned sardines as an ideal on-the-go keto snack. Not only do they grant us a healthy dose of fat and other nutrients, but they are also zero carbs.
For some extra fat, buy the sardines that are canned with olive oil.
Who can’t get enough of peanut butter? It renders us with a delicious way to curb cravings, meet our protein needs, and increase our healthy fat intake.
But be wary of peanut butter products with added sugar. The ingredients label should have no more than two ingredients: peanuts and salt.
Join flaxseeds and chia seeds to your nut butter or nut mixes for some added protein, fat, fiber, and health benefits.
Make sure the brand you prefer is no- or very low-carb with very few extra ingredients. Keep in mind that jerky has around 50% calories from fat.
If you want a ready-to-eat beef snack that is higher in fat, purchase some pemmican instead.
Low Carb Bars
There are plenty of “keto-friendly” and on-the-go bars that have hit the store online and on the shelves.
Before you fall for their marketing plot, review the ingredients, and calculate the net carbs per bar. Make sure the bar will match within your calorie and net carb limits for the day.
The two most typical bars that can be eaten on keto, albeit sparingly, are Quest Bars and NuGo Smarte Carb Bars. Only use bars like these as a last option if you have no other keto snacks available.
Several companies make cheese chips like Whisps and Moon Cheese. They are the crunchy version of your favorite cheese with no added carbs and a good source of fat and protein.
Ready-to-Eat Keto Snacks That Mostly Consist of Fat
These snacks provide you with a delicious way to fit more fats into your keto diet:
This is one of the best keto snacks if you require more fat without so much extra protein. Just add a little salt and pepper or mash it up with some mayonnaise, and you’ll be all set to snack.
Being a good source of fat and fiber with the least carbs and protein, olives are one of the best ready-to-eat keto snacks.
Just choose your favorites from an olive bar or get a jar from the store. But make sure to avoid any products that have added oils or carb-ridden components.
If you crave something crunchy and salty, have pork rinds as an alternative for carb-rich crackers or chips.
The majority of sub-par products are fried using unhealthy oils. So stick with pork rinds made with the simplest ingredients (i.e., pork rinds and salt).
Most nuts have inflammatory omega-6 fats, but macadamias are a league of their own. It has high amounts of monounsaturated fat and minimal omega-6 content.
Be careful with them, though! They can be surprisingly easy to overeat.
Look for raw macadamia nuts in small packages for added ease and portion control.
Raw Coconut Butter
This is made from blended coconut meat and gives us a delicious way to get plenty of coconut fat without missing out on our favorite coconut flavors.
Make sure to buy coconut butter with no added sugar. And, most importantly, don’t overdo it. Coconut butter is stuffed with calories, which can slow your weight loss.
High-Fat Nuts and Nut Butters
Some nuts are relatively high in carbs like cashews and pistachios. It would be ideal to keep your snack portions small.
Stay away from any nuts or nut butter that have added carbs, polyunsaturated oils, or vegetable oils. Choose higher fat nuts and nut butter, such as almonds, pecans, and macadamia nuts.
Pre-Made Keto Cookies
If you don’t want to make your cookies, you can purchase them already made for you – ready to stick in your pocket or purse. They have the same texture of a gooey, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie pulled straight from the oven.
Keto-Friendly Dark Chocolate
If not sweetened with stevia or different low carb sweetener, make sure that it has at least 80% cocoa or higher, as the carbs can add up instantly. You can also create your own by mixing melted coconut oil with cocoa powder and your favorite low carb sweetener(s).
These little chunks of cacao bean are the real “chocolate chips.” They are flavorful, healthy, and very low carb.
Munch on these piece by piece or have them with nuts, nut butter, or seeds. Be careful, though, as it can accumulate calories quickly.
Although these are super available and keto-friendly, they are highly processed, so it is best to limit them. Nonetheless, these go great when matched with high-fat cheese.
So try to find organic and hormone-free pepperoni. This means no extra dextrose, maltodextrin, and unhealthy preservatives when possible.
Although cheeses make a great keto snack, some can’t help increase your fat intake and minimize protein.
The most distinguished fat cheeses that can serve as great high-fat, low-protein snacks are mascarpone cheese and cream cheese. Feel free to combine them with other snacks from this article, such as pork rinds, pepperoni, and nuts, for a wonderfully tasty keto snack.
Pemmican is a tasty paste made of dried and pounded meat mixed with melted fat and other ingredients. It is an undeniably delightful keto snack if you want something filled with hearty, beefy flavors.
MCT Oil Supplements
MCT oil and MCT powder offer a quick dose of saturated fat that will be rapidly converted to energy-boosting ketones.
Store-Bought Keto Snacks Money can Buy
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies – HighKey
These keto-friendly chocolate chip cookies are currently #17 on Amazon’s list of best-selling groceries. They have nearly 4,000 customer reviews and a 4.6-star rating, with people noting the texture, crunch, and overall quality sweet taste.
- Keto and Low Carb Friendly: HighKey Snacks Keto Mini Cookies are a diet-friendly snack made with nutritious ingredients for a sweet treat. Low in net carbs and sugar, these mini cookies are produced with natural ingredients like almond flour, coconut oil, and collagen. Excellent for ketogenic dieters, this snack is the smart choice!
- Gluten-free and Grain-free: No added preservatives, no gluten, and no fillers. These mini cookies are an excellent choice when you want a sweet, crispy treat without all the sugar and carbs in regular cookies. It’s made of simple ingredients for a tasty choice of traditional sweets that are low-carb, low sugar, gluten, and grain-free.
- Satisfying Sweets: Satisfy that sweet tooth with a treat that hits the spot without the guilt. Each purchase incorporates a box of 3 bags of our delicious Keto Mini Cookies. Perfect for on-the-go snacking, these mini cookies are ideal for providing a quick indulgence into a busy schedule. With wholesome ingredients and natural sweetener, feel good about repaying yourself for a job well done!
- Sweet Healthy Snacks: High quality, calorie-conscious, macronutrient focused, and tasty.
ChocZero’s Keto BarK – CHOCZERO
This milk chocolate bark is loaded with creamy, keto-friendly chocolate and crunchy hazelnuts.
- A milk chocolate hazelnut bark without any added sugar, no sugar alcohols, and no artificial sweeteners. Sweetened solely with monk fruit.
- Low net carb: only 3g net carbs for each serving (1 ounce).
- 100% stone-ground premium cocoa beans for a different creamy texture.
- All-natural, non-GMO, soy-free, and gluten-free.
Stryve Beef Biltong
Don’t call this jerky—it’s biltong, a South African form of dried, cured meat. One serving of this flavorful stuff packs 16 grams of protein and zero sugar. Zero!
- Beef Served Better: Stryve Biltong is 100% beef with no sugar, no MSG, no nitrates, no preservatives, and gluten-free.
- More Protein. No Additives: Stryve Biltong is always air-dried to lock in quality and nutrients. Boasting 16g of protein in each serving indicates it has up to 50% more protein than jerky.
- Zero Sugar: High-quality steak sliced into thin strips and seasoned with signature dry rubs. Air-dried long enough to secure every bite is mouthwatering, delicious, and tender. Delivering 0g sugar and 0g carbs in every serving!
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, yet flavorful: Made with a few homely ingredients. It is full of flavor that’s high in protein, has zero sugar, zero carbs, and is created from nothing artificial.
Justin’s Classic Almond Butter Squeeze Packs – Justin’s Nut Butter
As long as you don’t beat the almond butter packets back-to-back, they’re an approved snack.
- Only consist of Two Ingredients, Keto-Friendly, Certified Gluten-Free, Vegan, Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher
- 6g Protein, 1g Sugar, 3g Fiber, 0g Trans Fats
- Comes with six flavors: Chocolate Hazelnut, Cinnamon, Honey, Maple, Coconut & Vanilla Almond Butter
- Contains almost and created on equipment that also processes other tree nuts, peanuts, and soy
Olives to Go! – Pearls
Many people don’t travel with a can opener, so enter mini plastic to-go cups of pre-pitted olives.
- 16 pack, 1.2-ounce servings per cup
- Find out why we are America’s #1 Olive!
- Great for snacking on-the-go, sealed-in freshness in an easy-to-open cup
- Olives to Go! is a nutritious and delicious snack with only 35 calories per cup
- Perfect for lunchboxes, gym bags, and desk drawers.
Aged Cheddar Bars – Just The Cheese
There’s nothing in these “bars” but cheese, so the nutrition facts come out to 12 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein, and less than 1 gram of carbohydrates. The cheddar has been matured and baked, so it’s crunchy.
- The best part of a grilled cheese sandwich is the cheese that melts off into the pan and gets crunchy.
- Each bar is manufactured with care in a family-owned factory in Reeseville, WI, by World Champion Cheesemakers.
- It’s 100% Cheese, making it naturally Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, and High Protein.
- If you LOVE Cheese, then this is the best snack for you!
Chicken Sriracha Bars – Epic Provisions
The ingredients listed are clean and keto-friendly: chicken, a whole slew of spices, and chia seeds.
- 15g of savory whole muscle meat protein
- Combined chicken and a custom sriracha spice blend to harmonize notes of mild tartness and warm heat
- The powerful sriracha flavor is highlighted with the nutty taste of organic chia seeds
- Enjoy a 1.5-ounce chicken bar
- An epic source of protein tryptophan, phosphorus, selenium, niacin, folic acid, and vitamin B6 to satisfy your paleo appetite.
Fried Pork Curly Q’s Sea Salt – 4505 CRACKLINS
Soon after you become ketogenic, you’ll discover two cult-favorite foods: bacon and pork rinds. That end is an easy snack to pack when you’re on the go.
- Well balanced flavors created by chef and butcher Ryan Farr
- Paleo Certified, Keto Friendly & Gluten Free
- All-natural, real, simple ingredients
- Humanely and Sustainably Raised pork
- Contains 6 – 3-ounce bags
The Benefits of Keto Snacks
Although we typically recommend against snacking, it is likely to turn these mini-meals into your secret weapon. Here’s how snacks can be beneficial:
- They can be used to help you meet your fat, protein, fiber, and micronutrient goals.
- They can prevent you from cheating on your diet when your willpower is low.
- They help increase your energy levels and, in many cases, your ketone levels as well.
- They help keep you satiated until your next meal.
When you snack mindfully, you will increase your chances of getting the results you want without having to struggle with hunger, cravings, and low energy levels.
On the other hand, if you are consuming as many keto snacks as you want without any limitations, you will likely hit a weight loss plateau or gain weight. This potential downside of snacking is why we tend to advise against it.
Picking Out Your Own Healthy Keto Snacks
Many low-carb snacks (like Atkins products) will impair your ketone production if you aren’t careful. Many of these so-called “healthy low-carb” snacks are packed with protein and unhealthy ingredients.
This can spike your blood sugar and kick you out of ketosis.
When finding the right keto-friendly snacks, use these rules to guide you:
- Hold to the whole-food-based snacks as much as possible — preferably homemade.
- Only buy minimally-processed products without any carb-containing additives or fillers.
- Direct for snacks that are 60% fat and less than 10% carbs.
- Use keto-approved ingredients when possible.
Putting it All Together: The Do’s and Don’ts of Snacking on Keto
If you could take away one thing from this post, it would be this simple list of dos and don’ts with keto snacking.
What you shouldn’t do:
- Rely on heavily processed, convenient foods.
- Rely solely on your willpower to stick to the keto diet.
- Ignore the absolute importance of your macronutrient and calorie intake for meeting your goals.
- Be unprepared when you are on-the-go.
What you should do:
- Take the time to prepare high-quality keto snacks for yourself.
- Rely on whole foods and healthy ingredients rather than processed “low carb” products.
- Select your keto snacks based on how much protein and fat you need to meet your goals.
- Make sure your snacks fit within your macros.
The possibilities are endless when looking for and making keto snacks. By eating the keto-friendly options instead of the typical, carb-ridden snacks, you’ll be one step closer to reach your weight goals.